Boston Opera House Reopens This Week After $38 Million Restoration
The 2,600-seat theater was designed in 1928 by Thomas White Lab. It was constructed as a memorial to B.F. Keith, the "father of vaudeville," by his business partner, Edward Franklin Albee (grandfather of the famed playwright). The Opera House was originally a home for vaudeville but became a movie house in 1929. Renamed the Savoy in the 1960s, it continued to function as a movie house until 1978, when it was acquired by The Opera Company of Boston.