Interviews

4 Questions With Theatrical Kind Mama Alicia Silverstone

The actress, writer, and activist talks about her desire to return to the Broadway stage.

Three-time Broadway actress Alicia Silverstone has just published her second book, The Kind Mama.
Three-time Broadway actress Alicia Silverstone has just published her second book, The Kind Mama.
(© Carter Smith)

She's Clueless' iconic protagonist and a three-time Broadway starlet (The Graduate, Time Stands Still, and The Performers), but first and foremost Alicia Silverstone is a mom — and a Kind one at that. The film, television, and stage actress is also the bestselling author of a vegan cookbook, The Kind Diet. And now with her second book, The Kind Mama, she aims to empower women with the tools to have happy, healthy babies. Silverstone spoke with TheaterMania about living what she calls the "kind" life (the healthiest and happiest life possible while conserving the environment) and how this choice has affected her stage performances. She also outlined the best theater experiences of her career and the odds of returning to the stage in a Clueless musical.

1. How has living the "kind" lifestyle contributed to your career as a performer?

Laura Linney as Sarah and Alicia Silverstone as Mandy in Donald Margulies' Time Stands Still, directed by Daniel Sullivan at Broadway's Samuel J. Friedman Theatre, 2010.
Laura Linney (left) as Sarah and Alicia Silverstone as Mandy in Donald Margulies' Time Stands Still, directed by Daniel Sullivan at Broadway's Samuel J. Friedman Theatre, 2010.
(© Joan Marcus)

It gives me energy, focus, clarity, and heart to be in touch with myself, and to know what I really want and need. I'm able to hear the messages that my body tells me. Our bodies are telling us things all the time, and it's so easy not to listen when we're all bogged down with gook. When all that gook comes out you can really hear what your body is telling you, and especially as an actress you can go, Okay, this is feeling like this, how can I improve that? What can I do about this? Or even something as simple as, I don't want to do that job. Most important, you're not fighting off sicknesses and you're not fighting for survival all the time. Most of us are just walking around in a state of survival and the body is just holding on for dear life.

2. What did you learn about yourself from your time on Broadway?

I think maybe I found the confidence in myself as an artist and thought, This is what I'm meant to do and I actually really love it. I think at times it was easy to get very distracted and less interested in all things Hollywood at all times. Broadway was very grounding. It feels like home.

3. What drives you to keep coming back to the stage?

I love theater so much! It feels so right and it's so incredible. When I did Time Stands Still on Broadway with Laura Linney and Daniel Sullivan, it was just one of the most incredible times in my life. It's so magical. Another favorite was a play at the Geffen Playhouse directed by David Mamet called Boston Marriage. It was just so wonderful. There are moments like that where day in and day out you feel like you're doing something so exciting, interesting, and beautiful. I'd love to do another play, maybe at the end of the year or next year.

Alicia Silverstone as Cher in the 1995 film Clueless.
Alicia Silverstone as Cher in the 1995 film Clueless.
(© Paramount)

4. With Heathers The Musical now running, and the possibility of Mean Girls making its way to the stage, have you considered being involved with a theatrical adaptation of your own hit, Clueless?

Amy Heckerling told me she's working away at it. As for me, I don't know. That part of the conversation hasn't even entered my mind, so I have no idea!

To purchase Alicia Silverstone's new book, The Kind Mama, click here.

Featured In This Story