11 Renditions of Songs From The Last Five Years to Prep for This Week's Concert
Though multi-Tony Award winner Jason Robert Brown's The Last Five Years has never been staged on Broadway, this beloved musical has managed to attract some of the theater's best talent. Since Broadway's Sherie Rene Scott and two-time Tony winner Norbert Leo Butz played the show's Cathy and Jamie in its original 2002 off-Broadway production, musical-theater superstars who have put their unique spin on Brown's tunes include Anna Kendrick, Jonathan Groff, and more.
Next week, a special benefit performance of The Last Five Years will welcome stars of the stage Cynthia Erivo (The Color Purple) and Joshua Henry (Chicago's Hamilton) as the central romantically doomed duo. To prepare, we've compiled a collection of several of our favorite renditions of songs from the show. Whether you're meeting this musical-theater classic for the first time or you know it backward and forward, this collection of performances is sure to leave you wanting more.
1. Jason Robert Brown, "If I Didn't Believe in You"
2. Jonathan Groff, "Moving Too Fast"
3. Lea Salonga, "Still Hurting"
4. Ben Platt, "Moving Too Fast"
5. Anika Noni Rose, "I Can Do Better Than That"
6. Sherie Rene Scott, "Goodbye Until Tomorrow"
7. Norbert Leo Butz, "Moving Too Fast"
8. Betsy Wolfe, "Goodbye Until Tomorrow"
9. Adam Kantor, "Shiksa Goddess"
10. Anna Kendrick, "See, I'm Smiling"
11. Jeremy Jordan, "Moving Too Fast"