The intersection of Lafayette Street and Astor Place, near the longtime home of the Public Theater, has been co-named in honor of the Public's founder, Joseph Papp, in a ceremony held earlier today.
The ceremony included remarks by Public Theater artistic director Oskar Eustis, Commissioner of the Department of Cultural Affairs Tom Finkelpearl, District 2 City Councilwoman Rosie Mendez, and Public Theater board member Gail Papp, who unveiled the commemorative sign.
The Public Theater was founded in 1954 (then known as the New York Shakespeare Festival), but its permanent home at 425 Lafayette Street opened its doors for the first time in October 1967 with the groundbreaking musical Hair. In addition to founding the New York Shakespeare Festival and saving the landmark building (the former Astor Library) from planned demolition, Joe Papp also lived in the East Village and was an outstanding member of the community until his death in 1991.
Share via Email
Don't show this again.