The Charles Playhouse was originally designed and built in 1839 as the Fifth Universalist Church. Designed and built by renowned architect Benjamin Asher, it became the first synagogue in Boston in 1864, home of congregation Ohabei Shalom. Later, it served Scottish Presbyterian congregations and the YWCA before its transformation during the Prohibition into a speakeasy called ?The Lido Venice?, later renamed ?The Rio Casino?. The Charles Playhouse has two different performance spaces. Downstairs, there is a 200-seat cabaret-style space. The main performance space is upstairs and can house up to 500 patrons.
All questions regarding services for patrons with special needs should be directed to The Charles Playhouse theater staff at 617-426-6912.
We have no past productions for this theater.