Broadway is the best place outside of Comic-Con to grab inspiration for a Halloween get-up, but we're aware that not everyone has access to Evita's dress or costumer Susan Hilferty's budget. So we tapped our own in-house make-up and costume guru Josh Hibbard to put together our Top D.I.Y. costumes inspired by shows currently running on Broadway.
Elphaba, the green protagonist in the hit musical Wicked, currently running at the Gershwin Theater, has been a costume favorite for Broadway lovers for almost a decade. But you don't want to show up looking like every other witch at the party, do you? DO YOU?!? No. You want to get to the essence of Elphaba by transplanting her character into contemporary America: You want to be Hipster Elphaba.
Think about it. Is there any more hipsterific Broadway diva than Elphaba? She's an animal rights advocate, possibly vegan. She rails against the establishment. She's always lording an obscure publication over you -- we get it, you can read spells, good for you -- and likes weird hats. She even lives in a crummy studio apartment. Total hipster.
As Hipster Elphaba, you'll probably ride the L Train to a party. You'll likely need to be a supporter of the #Occupy movement whilst owning multiple 1%-friendly Apple products. An avid reader, as evidenced by your thick rimmed glasses, you'll want to carry a book to read during those moments when tiresome people are speaking to you (we recommend The Unbearable Lightness of Being, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, or Roald Dahl's The Witches, ironically. Anything by Bret Easton Ellis is also acceptable). Top it off with a big, belt-y musical number and you're set.
Painting your whole body green is actually a lot simpler than it looks. "Kryolan is super easy to work with and the color is solid," glows Josh when talking about the non-toxic green makeup he used for TheaterMania graphic designer-turned-model Lana's Elphaba look. Just add a little water to your wedge and the green goes on smooth and easy.
Items Needed (Click on the links below to buy everything you need online):
-Black wig (or your own hair)
-The Hipsterest outfit from your own closet
-Hand-made "Occupy Oz" sign and other accessories.
1. Choose your outfit: go for plaid, skinny jeans, vintage dresses or anything by American Apparel.
2. Cover your face with Green Kryolan makeup, using a larger wedge at first and switching to a smaller brush around the eyes.
3. Cover your hands, arms, and other visible skin with green Kryolan makeup.
4. Highlight your eyebrows with Mehron black face paint.
5. Add a black wig or style your own hair if it's already long and black.
6. Don thick glasses to remind people that you're smarter than them.
7. Add any other accessories that complete your customizable Elphaba: TheaterMania suggests Occupy signage, iPhone with Hipstamatic app and the obligatory book, but the possibilities are endless.
Check back tomorrow for more costumes.