The 2,600-seat theater was designed in 1928 by Thomas White Lab. It was constructed as a memorial to B.F. Keith, the "father of vaudeville," by his business partner, Edward Franklin Albee (grandfather of the famed playwright). The Opera House was originally a home for vaudeville but became a movie house in 1929. Renamed the Savoy in the 1960s, it continued to function as a movie house until 1978, when it was acquired by The Opera Company of Boston.
The restoration, a project of Broadway in Boston/Clear Channel Entertainment, began in 2002. For more information, visit www.broadwayinboston.com.
Share via Email
Don't show this again.