Idina Menzel and Taye Diggs (© Joseph Marzullo/WENN)
After last week's least favorite musicals column, I decided to focus on something much more positive this week: the best showmances of all time. These are my favorite theatrical couples whose romances sprung from working together on Broadway.
1. Idina Menzel and Taye Diggs The couple to end all couples. They met during Rent, one of the best shows in Broadway history, and have been together ever since. I most admire them because they are both so busy with musicals, television shows, and movies. I don't know how they keep the romance going! They also have an absolutely adorable little boy, Walker Nathaniel. Can't wait to hear that boy's pipes. Diggs and Menzel also win for cutest animals. A yorkie named Sammy Davis Jr. and cats named Ella and Coltrane after Ella Fitzgerald and John Coltrane. Jazzy animals.
2. Will Swenson and Audra McDonald Another power couple. They met during 110 in the Shade when Audra was portraying the vibrant Lizzie and Will was in the chorus. He was an understudy for the lead, and they soon fell in love on the stage. I really love that these two came together later in life, after previous marriages. They became a little Broadway Brady Bunch, combining their families. Apparently the kids became friends before the marriage because Audra and Will brought them to rehearsals. And every time they're out together, you can just see and feel the love. I especially enjoyed Audra's emotional shout out to him during her Tony's acceptance speech this year.
3. Liam Neeson and Natasha Richardson Believe it or not, these two actually met through the theater. They were in a Roundabout Theatre Company production of Anna Christie in 1993. Their performances earned them both Tony nods and places in each other's hearts. The world was devastated when Natasha passed away, leaving the love of her life behind. Rest in peace, Natasha, you were an incredible talent.
4. Andy Karl and Orfeh This couple has to win the award for most shows done together. I could hardly do one show with my boyfriend, so I have no idea how these two do it. Andy and Orfeh met during Saturday Night Fever, then did Me and Mrs. Jones, Nights on Broadway II, Bright Lights, Big City, and Legally Blonde. I guess they sure know how to work together. The best part is that Andy was Kyle, the mailman, in Legally Blonde, and Orfeh was Paulette. In love onstage and off. Too cute.
5. Sutton Foster and Christian Borle Sadly, sadly no more. These two met when Borle took over the part of Jimmy in Thoroughly Modern Millie. Borle actually said that the best performance he has ever seen was Sutton's performance in Millie. How sweet. They are two of the most talented people on stage and television today. It's a shame it didn't last longer.
BONUS: I'm going to throw in a little extra one at the end here. They did not meet while in a show, so it can't be categorized as a showmance, but I think that Gavin Creel and Jonathan Groff were one of the most adorable Broadway couples of all time. Although I eventually celebrated their relationship, I was at first devastated to find out that neither one of them would be interested in marrying me. C'est la vie. But seriously, these two need to get back together.