The first-ever Great Boston Burlesque Exposition will be held at the John Hancock Convention Center in Boston in February 2007. This three day event brings together performers, devotees, and purveyors of products related to the still vibrant art form known as Burlesque. Among the many events planned for the exposition will be performances by both new and veteran entertainers, and classes on Burlesque essentials including fan dancing, bump and grind - even tassel twirling.
Three nightly burlesque shows:
* Friday, February 16 The New England Revue, hosted by Miss Astrid of The Va-Va-Voom Room (New York and San Francisco)
* Saturday, February 17 The Main Event, a competition featuring Master of Ceremonies Jai Rodriguez (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy)
* Sunday, February 18 The Newcomers' Showcase/The Sideshow Ball The Newcomers' Showcase highlights new performers in the world of burlesque; The Sideshow Ball features all the acts that traditionally accompanied burlesque (sword swallowers, jugglers, tumblers, etc.)
* A tradeshow (open to the public) with vendors from all over the world selling costumes, music, props, shows, memorabilia, cosmetics, and much more!
* Over 50 classes on everything from "Fan Dancing" to "Negotiating a Contract"
* Burlesque shorts and features, provided by SomethingWeird Media
* A slide show lecture by author David Kruh, who wrote two books on Scollay
Square, which was the center of Burlesque in Boston from the 1920s to 1950s.
* A guided tour of Boston burlesque shopping destinations
Visit the Great Boston Burlesque Exposition website: